Thursday, April 19, 2012

YOU SHOULDN'T Teach Your Homeschool Students!

YOU SHOULDN'T Teach Your Homeschool Students!

Author: Marvin Wallace
As home school parents, our goal is NOT to teach. Our goal is for the children to LEARN. I could have taught my kids "at grade level" and they would have not learned anything. Rather, I gave them curriculum at their ability level, and then they needed to learn something that they did not currently know.

Older teens HAVE TO learn how to teach themselves. Should they head to college, they are going to be expected to learn all the textbook material on their own. College lectures are generally supplemental to the textbook - not the same. If they do not head to college, they'll still need to teach themselves some computer skills, or online banking, or perhaps the way to purchase a car - whatever.

In high school, my boys taught themselves pre-Calculus and Calculus. They taught themselves physics. I know they knew the information since I provided them the tests. I did not know what the calculus symbols meant, yet I was aware that my kids answers matched the answers on the key. I might have taught them Biology and Chemistry, because I am an RN and I had quite a lot of those subjects in college, however they essentially taught themselves that as well. It simply worked out better for us when they were educating independently, while I basically checked up on them every now and then. My younger son taught himself economics, and is now doing graduate level work in the history of economic thought, we have been informed by his professor. Much to our amazement, he also taught himself psychology and business law, because he got fantastic grades on the College Level Examination Program - CLEP exams in those subjects. It was a big surprise because we did not even know he had read a book about those subjects!

Here's my point: kids can teach themselves anything when they're interested in it. It is good for kids to do that, and it works wonderful for kids who are working away at an extremely academic, college-prep curriculum and also for kids who are in a laid back homeschool environment.

A number of parents are focused on "getting it all done. " I need to put in a plug for home school parents having prayer and quiet time. I found that when I was regular with those things I could "get it all done" and when I was not regular I got discouraged. Either I was expecting too much, or was frustrated too easily. When I invested time with God, then things went much more smoothly in our home school.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/homeschooling-articles/you-shouldnt-teach-your-homeschool-students-5663135.html
About the Author
Totaltranscriptsolution.com helps home school parents in converting the years of independent training into home school for high school. The web site also offers some general info on homeschool transcripts for college.

No comments:

Post a Comment